I'm okay with the Carrie remakes (2002 & 2013) and even The Rage. However, I always thought that if De Palma's 1976 adaptation were redone, a faithful take on the novel would be the ideal path.
Stephen King's breakout tale is a mosaic of reflections and documents that explore Carrie White's persecuted march toward telekinetic revenge. It has an investigative feel, which would translate well as an ominous mockumentary.
Amazon Prime's new Carrie, a miniseries from director/showrunner Mike (The Fall of the House of Usher 2023) Flannagan and headlined by Summer H. (Curse of Chuckie) Howell, has more-or-less promised that direction. It's even been labeled as "true crime" fiction in some circles. That would work for me, but based on the trailer (which is rather effective from a character-study stance), the setup looks more like traditional, vengeful melodrama.
I suspect that the opportunity to strike the literary bone has been bypassed once more. With that said, I still believe this expanded remake has potential, just as any persecuted-youth exploit would. To see Carrie rise up and again and eradicate the bullies is a fantasy formula that captivates, thanks in no small part to its empathetic heart.
In any event, we'll see where this particular version goes (culminating with the bloody prom or not), since further seasons have been teased. All eight episodes will be queued on October 7.
No comments:
Post a Comment