Thursday, June 11, 2020

MARK JUSTICE'S THE DEAD SHERIFF IV: INSPIRATIONS & INSINUATIONS


At this stage, I can't reveal much regarding my sequel to "Mark Justice's The Dead Sheriff", so as not to spoil it. (Incidentally, my contribution is the fourth in the series and subtitled, "Purity".)  I can only imagine what the illustrations and cover will look like; however, an art team will soon be assigned. (I added Boris Vallejo's creepy "Gunslinger" above, which I seized from a Ron Fortier update, just to give this entry extra pizzazz.) 


I can, however, reference my novel's inspirations at least, which include three movies.  

"Dead Sheriff 4'"s main movie inspiration is Sam Peckinpah's "The Wild Bunch", renown for its violent displays. However, I also tapped into Clint Eastwood's "High Plains Drifter" to raise the yarn's hellish quotient. 


My novel also includes some introspective, moral moments, which spring from William Wyler's Civil War/Quaker-life classic, "Friendly Persuasion".


Somewhere in this threefold mix, there even exists elements culled from the works of George A. Romero, John Russo, Sam Raimi and J.R.R. Tolkien, in addition to the obvious, established Dead Sheriff books. (One of my story's supporting characters is based on a fleeting, though memorable little girl from the monster-movie classic, "Them!", but more on her in a future post.)


Anyway, there's the warm-up gist of it. I promise to keep all in the loop with the novel's progression. Please do visit "bizarrechats" for updates. 

No comments:

Post a Comment