Monday, July 20, 2026

DEAD CITY #3: IN ALLEGORICAL ANTICIPATION

The Walking Dead: Dead City, Season 3 is upon us. According to rumor, this may be the last in the Maggie/Negan (Lauren Cohan/Jeffrey Dean Morgan), spinoff run, leaving fans to anticipate a cataclysmic culmination. 

I liked the previous, western-oriented seasons (The Searchers slant having been rather winsome), and the same goes for the cowpoke themes embedded in the Daryl/Carol and Rick/Michonne ventures. I suppose I'll find the same flavor in the new Dead City, unless it implants an allegorical angle that goes against my moral grain. That I wouldn't like. 

This season creates a convenient, hop-and-a-skip launch into New York City, with a new character on board: Jimmi (Dark Matter) Simpson's Dillard, a bar-proprietor sidekick for Negan. Dillard looks prone to levity. Levity helps offset tension, and The Walking Dead is overloaded with that. 

In addition, NYC could (should) pave the way for an even grittier platform, if only per associative default, ala Escape from New York, though with zombies (as opposed to the general "crazies") and proxy, rancher-type villains (e.g. Zeljko Ivanek's Croat and his minions). In the process, the plot might even reference rough-and-tumble current events.

I live near NYC, which has been a devil's den for years on end and only continues to worsen. It's far more disturbing than anything featured in the Dead City trailers. (Without question, the locale epitomizes the term, "dead city.") If this season goes the metaphoric route, then it should emphasis the Big Apple's nurtured, moral-less debauchery, but if not, then why? Get my trepidation? (For what it's worth, AMC is dangling a carrot that something buried, though now revived, is set to infiltrate the content. Maybe that'll be this season's distinguishing trait.)

There's also that awkward, Maggie/Negan pact, which demands resolution. I still believe Negan should be done in (and if only for irony, by his beloved weapon of choice). Some claim that Glenn would be proud of Maggie for steering Negan in a positive direction, despite the latter having killed him and ol' Abe. I don't buy that. There's a point when things must turn full circle, a time when karma (though long delayed) is served. 

We'll see how it goes, good or bad, though good fortune is an accepted rarity on The Walking Dead

The Dead City, Season 3 premiere airs Sunday, July 26 on AMC. 

No comments:

Post a Comment