Sunday, September 1, 2024

REMIND: GAME-SHOW MEMORIES (MY FIRST ISSUE HAS ARRIVED)

I received my first issue of Remind, initiated from a Facebook, subscription ad. It's a swell issue, too, commemorating game shows, as its cover, featuring Pat Sajak, Vanna White and Alex Trebek (et al) relays. 

Along with its game-show rundown, there's an article on the 1950s quiz-show scandal and another on those shows that tried hard but flopped. Those highly comedic entries, like You Bet Your Life (with Groucho Marx) and The Gong Show (with Chuck Barris) are also covered. These, in turn, are accompanied by a game-show questionnaire and related puzzles.

Readers also get supplemental ingredients to the main theme. For one, get a load of that FETV, back-cover, police-show salute (the shape of things to come for an upcoming issue, maybe?). In addition, there's a "Star of the Month" segment, celebrating Lauren BaCall, the heartfelt "Readers Submissions" and a fond, "Roadside Attraction" piece on the Hagenbeck-Wallace Traveling Circus.

I'm pleased with the results of my first issue, and rather ashamed that it took me this darn long to join the parade. Remind reminds me of those hardy, Sunday-morning supplements I enjoyed as a kid, containing the kind of nostalgia that's so needed in a world that's made shady deals and general deceit beyond critique.

I'll promote the issues that come my way, so that I, too, may help promote a past that so many of us still hold near and dear to our hearts. 

To subscribe to Remind, visit 

https://www.remindmagazine.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment