Tuesday, February 23, 2021

Superman and Lois: A New CW (Re)Vision


Superman and Lois is supposed to be the new Lois and Clark, or is it? 

CW has a knack for deforming traditional, DC/WB notions, even though in its own right Lois and Clark took an unorthodox, pedestrian approach to its legendary characters. Still, Superman was Superman and Lois Lane was Lois Lane in that instance, and through Dean Cain and Teri Hatcher, Lois and Clark performed the expected functions. In the CW lay of the land, however, Tyler Hoechlin's Superman has always taken a wishy-washy back seat to Melissa Benoist's Supergirl. Pardon if I sound chauvinistic, but that was never a wise choice for the general fan base.  

On the other hand, the series' publicity photos and trailers do look pretty spiffy. The Superman vibe seems to be inherent. Elizabeth Bitsie Tullock's Lois Lane jives to my eyes (as she did with Grimm), and I bet that Emmanuelle Chriqui's Lana Lang will season things nicely as episodes unfold, even without the fiery hair. Perhaps Wote Park's the Stranger might prove a beneficial (maybe alternate-reality) addition, and (fingers crossed) the duo's offspring (Jordan Elsass and Alexander Garfin) won't get in the crybaby, millennial way and yet...

I want Kal-El to be Kal-El and carry all his essential baggage, no matter the family dynamic or what new characters may or may not emerge. In this regard, I want Clark Kent to be Clark Kent, as well. I'm not talking about a long-term imprint of other interpretations, either. I don't want Hoechlin's nuances stripped or blunted, but rather that the Man of Steel and his humble alias maintain a faithful-to-the-core, save-the-day, All American vantage.

CW tends to blur ideas of right and wrong, to advocate cancel-culture principles, which include the need for male viewers to tap their feminine side, whether they want to or not. I've no inclination to do so, and I'm friggin sick and tired of being told I goddamn should. 

I do hope Superman and Lois rises to the occasion with purity and respect for the subject matter and I come away with praise and not complaint. We'll see how it goes. It premieres tonight, so I won't have long to gauge its philosophical purpose.  

3 comments:

  1. So far, so good. The tone was somber and family-oriented. I'm fine with that, but would have liked more Superman action, though what's there is effective, and that surprise ending--whoa! I also believe that Hoechlin will soar in a huge way given time, now that the spotlight is on him. Anyway, fingers crossed for a smooth progression.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For the most part, the second episode was domestic-based, but still engaging. As with the first episode, things really came alive when the vengeance angle kicked in. My favorite scene--when we see the American flag displayed behind Superman. Nice touch for us purists.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do see one blaring problem with the show. Superman is overpowered by a mysterious super-henchman. His family is in danger, and yet instead of a tenacious, investigative pursuit, he concentrates more on his sons' football game. Just doesn't feel right. That sort of stark contrast has been paramount throughout the series so far.

    ReplyDelete