Sunday, August 4, 2024

Batman: Caped Crusader Begins

I was going to wait, and maybe I should have for the sake of giving an all-out, full assessment of Amazon Prime's animated Batman: Caped Crusader. But here I am, succumbing to the need to scratch a big-time itch and comment on the first episode of executive producers Bruce Timm, James Tucker, Matt Reeves and J.J. Abrams' ten-part series.

I can right off the bat (pun intended) say this: Though this new incarnation may not be a veritable sequel to (or semi-retelling of) WB's 1990s Batman: The Animated Series, it sure looks it, despite taking place fifty years prior and give or take a few character adjustments. (I'm not objecting to the insinuated, aesthetic retread, I must point out; I'm just acknowledging how it strikes me, based on what I've seen.)

The advent episode is Copplepot/Penguin oriented, perhaps a wee enticer for the live-action, Max series that's set to spring. For the record, the Penguin is female in this instance, a mother, a Cass Elliot-styled, club singer and coined Oswalda, though she stays pretty much in sync with Paul Williams' 1990s version than, let's say, Colin Farrell's Soparanos-steered villain or Robin Lord Taylor's murderous, Norman Bates-ish bird. Nevertheless, it all comes out in the wash. The Penguin is the Penguin, no matter the reassignment, vocalization, timeframe or avenue of criminality ... I, uh, suppose.

For "In Treacherous Waters," Oswalda keeps competitor Rupert Thorne (an underused, DC baddie) under her thumb, and when this habit slips, she exhausts her frustration by killing one of her sons. Her second son, meanwhile, seeks protection in a maneuver that ends up involving Batman and a not-yet-costumed Barbara (Barbie) Gordon, a "spitfire" attorney who ironically stands in opposition to the "tough on crime" Harvey Dent. The situation doesn't sit well with the Penguin, who decides to annihilate the Gotham Police Station for pure, cathartic cause.

Despite the story's flamboyant margins, the exploit adheres to a general, 1940s, dark-detective scheme (in the Lamont Cranston/Richard Wentworth vein), which should please all the Eddie Mullers out there.    

The moody animation is, of course, attractive, with a Fleischer-inspired pigmentation carrying all the way through. The vocal talent feels (sounds) right, as well, with Hamish Linlater (Bruce Wayne/Batman), Minnie Driver, Paul Scheer, Christina Ricci, Diedrich Bader, James Marsden, Jason Watkins, Gary Anthony Williams, Krystal Joy Brown, John DiMaggio, Toby Stevens, Michelle G. Monilla, Eric Morgan Stuart and several others enlivening the characterizations.   

I'm anxious to view more, so I can get a better sense of how (for better or worse) the further character alterations might (d)evolve. I must admit, some of the teaser images look fascinating, in particular the Basil Karlo/Clayface redo (a hint at a Reeves, two-part movie yet to come?); but no matter the pervading traditions or daring modifications, I'm now invested. I'll keep viewing and assessing, and when all's said and done, share my outcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment