Monday, October 9, 2023

*PPFSZT! #51: DEVIL 13 INFLUENCES

Hello, friends! Thanks for embracing my Jersey Devil fable, as featured in Main Enterprise's *PPFSZT! #51.

As you may have noticed, Jim Main allowed me to fill in some space after "Devil 13." I dedicated the story to my brother, Freddy, who appreciates cryptozoology and U.F.O lore. I also gave credit to two evident, pop-cultural inspirations: The Six Million Dollar Man's Bionic Bigfoot and Gamma-One's Snow Devils

However, after further reflection, I realized there were other inspirations behind my tale: Midnight Sun, aka Invasion of the Animal People, and the Predator prequel, Prey

Midnight Sun depicts a colossal "yeti" that's dispatched by extraterrestrials to keep the curious away from their crashed craft (in basic sync with Bionic Bigfoot's purpose). Prey deals with a Predator who challenges Comanches in 1719's Great Plains. Both movies employ juxtaposed, cosmic tropes among domestic inhabitants, just like my story. 

If pressed, I would say that Paul W. S. Anderson's Alien vs Predator inspired me, too, in that the concept is along the same lines, if only per its echoing, Aztec premise. 

I must also pay respect to The Jersey Devil movies, Carney and The Thirteenth Child, which left positive impressions on me. 

John McPhee's renowned, cultural report, The Pine Barrens, deserves a nod, as well. In my fable's earliest drafts, I referenced the author, but the gesture felt forced, leading me to excise such through rewrites. 

Anyway, just wanted to set the record straight and give credit where it's due ... 😊

No comments:

Post a Comment