Tuesday, May 5, 2020

KINCAID'S HOUSE OF ALTERED CATS: RAVENWOOD INFLUENCES


Some folks have been quick to identify influences in my "Ravenwood Vol 4" story, "Kincaid's House of Altered Cats", while others wonder what the bloody heck led to its lurid content. 


For those in the loop and those not, I thought it might be fun to confirm the influences (obvious and not so) in a post. 


There's no doubt that "Cat People '42" and "Cat People '82" made huge impacts on my Stepson of Mystery tale. It should come as no surprise, therefore, that Ed Catto's illustrated renderings of my character, Lily exudes a Natassja Kinski quality.  


H.G. Wells' "The Island of Dr. Moreau" also helped shape my story, as well as the variants, "Terror is a Man" (aka "Blood Creature") and its "Blood Island" companion pieces.  


A dash of "Konga" enters the story's later part. "The Reptile" slithers through, too. With that said, any number of similar monster movies should be given the nod, including "The Wasp Woman", "The Leech Woman", "She Demons" and "The Manster".


Above all, my Ravenwood jaunt is a gift to my cat, Cody, who departed some years ago due to unexpected circumstances. I've long struggled with her passing and was inspired by my dad's suggestion to grant her homage in a story. When Ron Fortier asked me to contribute to a new volume of tales based on Frederick C. Davis's occult detective, I had my chance.  


Anyway, there you have the basic influences that helped mold "Kincaid's House of Altered Cats". 

For those who haven't yet read my story (and wish to graze the aforementioned references), it can be purchased (along with three other swell Ravenwood yarns) at 
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1946183792/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and 
https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/ravenwood-stepson-of-mystery-volume-4-dewayne-dowers/1136929648?ean=9781946183798.

No comments:

Post a Comment