Wednesday, April 24, 2019

NERATERRAE'S SUBSTANCE OF PERCEPTION: STRANGE CHANGE SPRINGS ETERNAL


When I reviewed Alessio Antoni/Neraterrae's album, Nhart Demo(n)s in Oct '17, I linked it to the season in which I listened: autumn. 

With the newest Neraterrae creation (produced under the Cycle Law label), it's spring, but don’t get the wrong idea. Though the season is perceived as a period of sweet, idyllic growth, it can also bud unusual sights and sounds. 


Neraterrae's The Substance of Perception is an album that, per its thunderous, burrowing tracks, emotes change, both in mind and body.

It's my stance, therefore, that Substance has the power to transform any repressed listener, but the best I can relay is my own humble experience, and so with reference to Antoni's converting tracks, the following I do share: 



...I let the sounds of substance build, until "Shadows of Regret" enshrouded me...

Through its whispered call, I caught the taunting traces of a petulant past. I wished to shake these remnants, pretend they had never occurred, but that damn, lingering regret reinforced my inability. Layering notes shaped symbolic shadows along the anxious trail. With each step, with each murky elongation, I pressed on.

I finally grew frustrated, ravenous and for desperation's sake, triggered the courage to "Reveal the Unseen". 


In a windfall of untamed calamity, I fell to my knees, the impact of the billowing sounds pounding my flesh. My limbs extended; my bones cracked. Renewed energy surged through my mind's soundtrack. I laughed and wept at the same time, for I was "Becoming the Nightmare" I had for so long feared yet desired. 

The air clashed as a raw clanging crashed. I lost control of my emotions and then wet my lips with lustful ambition.


A "Wicked Pulse of Consciousness", pampering though grating, followed me through flowered fields. My keen sight spotted a shape. I fancied her soft, scented skin as she plucked a precious pedal. My stomach quaked. 

My prey turned...saw me, but before the amber-haired morsel could flee, I sprinted, fangs bared... 

My victim's screams filled the air. I snorted and gnawed, performing the grisly ritual of "That Which Shall Not be Witnessed"... 

Though my stomach was full and the orchestration gentle, I stomped "Beyond" the carnage, into a dense forest, seeking mournful reflection. Alas, my "Echoing Scars" renewed the same regret. 

I'll try again when another dark season awakes...


So, there's my subjective take. 

Listen to Antoni's affecting album, so that you might also adapt a cathartic, strange change: 

https://www.cycliclaw.com/releases/neraterr-the-substance-of-perception-cd-138th-cycle.

No comments:

Post a Comment