Saturday, September 21, 2019

GREEN-FLESHED FIENDS: REFERENCES AND ALLUSIONS


Some have remarked and/or speculated upon the references and allusions included in my latest Airship 27 Productions release, "The Persona, Vol 2: Green-Fleshed Fiends".


"Forbidden Planet" comes to mind (and was cited in at least one review), though for those who haven't read my novel, I'd rather not elaborate on how the concept applies. (Why spoil it?) The book also contains a trace of the related "The Ultimate Computer" (D.C. Fontana's popular "Star Trek" episode), though I suspect elaboration on it would also reveal a tad too much.


I'll instead turn my attention to its characters:

Illustrator Kevin Broden tapped into the Beethoven-meets-Tarzan guise of Professor Tarr. He even gave Tarr a Johnny Weissmuller look in a test-run pic. I believe that element still surfaces in the book. (For the record, I believe Weismuller would have made a terrific Tarr, particularly in the actor's post-Jungle Jim days.)


As most "bizarrechats" readers know, Jean Harlow influenced Stacey Standish's physicality. I've plastered several Harlow pics in prior posts to drive home this point. Here's another:


How 'bout Melody Montorto? Which actress, new or old, might best represent her? I've envisioned Diana Rigg, Barbara Steele, Ingrid Pitt, Brinke Stevens, Barbara Leigh, Eva Green, Caroline Monro and Martine Beswick for the crafty vixen. However, if I were to pluck an actress straight from "Green-Fleshed Fiends'" time frame, I do believe Myrna Loy would the most ideal. Do you agree?


Have my rumblings piqued your interest to (re)read "Green-Fleshed Fiends"? It's available now at  https://www.amazon.com/Persona-Green-Fleshed-Fiends-Michael-Housel/dp/1946183644/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=michael+f.+housel&qid=1566802269&s=gateway&sr=8-2 .  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment