Saturday, March 3, 2018

Netflix/Marvel's Jessica Jones Returns for Season 2!!!


Among the Netflix/Marvel superhero shows, "Jessica Jones" was the hardest for me to identify with. I guess that's because I'm a guy, and I'm more likely to identify with (aspire to be) Daredevil, Iron Fist, the Punisher...Power Man. What can I say? I'm not going to apologize for it. It simply is what it is.


In the same vein, Marvel's printed version of Jessica Jones never wowed me (too damn pedestrian), but at least the Netflix interpretation has a dark edge to it, which I do like, and of course, there's Krysten Ritter.

Ritter, to put it bluntly, is a looker. I thought so when she played Jane on "Breaking Bad", and I might add, she holds more than a fleeting resemblance to Barbara Steele. There's something about the long, black hair and those big, dark eyes that makes these stunning thespians comparable.


I only wish that, for the sake of Season 2, we might see Ritter/Jones in more fetching attire from time to time. I realize that the character's sloven semblance fits the downtrodden, detective mode, but a scene or two requiring her to don an evening gown or bathing suit would be nice. I mean, most women do sport such garments, and since the character does go undercover, doesn't it make sense to change her look on occasion? Also, I've a hunch that the writers (and the women assigned to direct the episodes) would have no objections in giving Jones varied disguises if the plots justified such, but hey, maybe I'm delusional, or at the very least, old fashioned. 


Also, it would be neat to learn more about Jones' superhero background. For example, what kind of flamboyant suit did she wear, what villains did she clobber, and why don't we ever see such in flashback? What's there to be ashamed of? Matt Murdock ain't ashamed to sport a superhero suit and kick ass; why should Jones be? Then again, many do find her unorthodox stance unique and as such, a major draw. 


As with other Netflix/Marvel series, there's lots of secrecy surrounding this new season. Will Mike Colter's courageous Luke Cage make an appearance somewhere within the 13-episode stretch? What about those rumors of David Tennant's mind-crushing Killgrave returning? Who, indeed, is the big baddie this time out? 

Ah, so many questions; so few answers...

But I suppose that's part of why I'll be watching. Curiosity lures me. It probably lures you, too.

"Jessica Jones" returns March 8...

2 comments:

  1. Gosh, I don't mean to be mean or narrow-minded, but I sure do miss that continuous, chilly flow of David Tennant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The acting, the supporting characters are all good, but damn it, I wish that Netflix hadn't misled this time around. Usually, Netflix's misleads (twists on villains and the like) make a season more interesting, exciting. In this instance, the trickery fell flat. Season 2 is still quality, but I dare say, it doesn't have the groundbreaking tension of the first.

    I'm hoping that "Daredevil: Season 3" will at least hit the bullseye (pun intended).

    ReplyDelete