Monday, June 6, 2022

Collectible Time: John Febonio's Bride of Frankenstein (Elsa Lanchester) Print

I've featured examples of John Febonio's artwork previously for Bizarrechats. (See Leatherface Sunset: March '22 and Creature Swim: April '22.) His enormous talent now summons a Universal Monster great: Elsa Lanchester as the Bride of Frankenstein, from James Whale's 1935 blockbuster.

The Bride of Frankenstein portrait is a stunner. I ordered a 16" x 20" version on high-stock, matte paper. Gosh, when I unrolled it, it not only made my heart go pitter-pat, but filled my head with Franz Waxman's inimitable chords.

The print's color scheme (in what Febonio designates as Bride 2) is awe-inspiring, with a gentle, pea green for the backdrop and the Bride's comely features highlighted by strokes of pinkish red. (Incidentally, Lanchester's wig was, in fact, red, and so Febonio's bleeding brush does appear to reference this, albeit in an indirect way.) 

The Bride is one of the most striking monsters ever to grace celluloid. I'm damn proud to have this splendid, Febonio tribute of her for my collection. Perhaps you'll be wise enough to add such to yours. 

Behold Febonio's wondrous works (including the original, blue-hued Bride) at 

https://febonio.bigcartel.com/?fbclid=IwAR0YWTsAiZFPExFKuvBW0jgTuGED3ylMOT_DbvFBBCOr4yS2Zj6YUNETwjI

No comments:

Post a Comment