Saturday, November 7, 2020

CARTOON CUTIES: VIEWER REVIEW


I recently shared an essay detailing my appreciation of Rock Baker's Cartoon Cuties with Rock's collaborator, Mark Holmes. Mark decided to make it the first of a new YouTube spot called Viewer Views. For the sake of "bizarrechats" (and to further promote Cartoon Cuties), I thought it might be nice to share the episode's "letter" portion here: 


Hello, I'm Michael Housel, a writer who has contributed reviews on Rock Baker's Cartoon Cuties

Cartoon Cuties means a lot to me and reflects the reading and viewing material of my childhood and teenage years. On this basis, I believe the content works on several, nostalgic levels, as I'll now explain: 

Rock's work features sweet characters--the Annies--who are a cartoon hybrid of critters and humans, while existing in a class all their own. These characters are curvaceous and often wear bikinis. They're easy on the eyes, that is, no matter which perception one throws upon them: a swell combination of innocence and sex appeal, if ever there was. 

Contrary to the concept's carefree surface, the Annie world, as it plays out in lovely Creek Bend, is an intricate and deep one. The characters have relationships, some of an amorous sort and others based on basic, heartfelt friendships. The Annies, therefore, aren't far removed from the people we know--the people we care about and love.

In this respect, it's easy to identify with them, and when they engage in something silly, they make us laugh, for we may have found ourselves in similar situations at one time or another. 

All of Rock's ladies are special and nuanced. Crissy Carrots is their alluring lead. I hold her in high regard, but Minerva Mallen is my favorite of the bevy. To say the least, her construction is unique. She holds skunk attributes, of all things, but embodies the best traits of classic, Hollywood actresses.

Then again, all of the Annies have old-time Hollywood charms: each dignified and attractive in the best pin-up way. They don't cuss or indulge in horrifying villainy. Again, they spring from a simpler time and place and are here now (thanks to Rock's creative generosity and Mark Holmes' deft assistance) to remind us of the way things once were--and should still be. 

I'm happy as a lark to see Cartoon Cuties sway from its comic-book and short-story roots to the Static-Mation shorts featured on YouTube. That's progression, all right, with another foundation established that (fingers crossed) will lead to another and another after that. 

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, Rock's mythology is history in the making. There's no way to come away from his work without being moved. In other words, there's no way to come away from Cartoon Cuties without having become a fan. Watch the samples on this fine channel and dare tell me I'm wrong. 

Enjoy Mark's presentation at 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6JMjdAOBVE&feature=share&fbclid=IwAR3iZGEJPgiOOX1H6z8lccEmQlwL1IPy37LH2G6I5NJyaSV19L23Hy29DJk

No comments:

Post a Comment