Thursday, February 7, 2019

Doom Patrol Expands DC's Live-Action Universe


The pay-for-it DC Universe introduced its new, live-action series, "Doom Patrol" via a pilot planted within "Titans": the latter a series I praised until its finale, which left me mighty miffed. (My fingers are crossed that what transpired was, in truth, a sadistic trick, to be revealed and remedied at Season 2's start.) 


With that said, I did enjoy the "Doom Patrol" pilot and believe that its eleven-episode expansion could become DC's small-screen answer to Marvel's "X-Men", another excellent example of '60s, misfit fusion. 


"Doom Patrol'"s current cast features Timothy Dalton as the Chief (replacing Bruno Bichir); Brendan Fraser emoting Robotman (replacing Jake Michaels), with Riley Shanahan occupying the armor; Matt Bomer voicing Negative Man, with Dwain Murphy (allegedly) still under wraps; Joivan Wade as Cyborg; Diane Guerrero as Crazy Jane; and the amazing April Bowlby as Elasti-Woman. For the record, Alan "Powerless" Tyduk animates Mr. Nobody, a living shadow cut from the more-or-less Lamont Cranston cloth, only inclined to screw with minds for the sheer fun of it. (Devan Chandler Long will eventually join the cast as magical muscleman, Flex Mentallo: quite an underrated/underused character in the DC universe.)


I like eccentrics with hearts of gold (I fancy myself one). I also like folks who work against the odds, whether they harbor special abilities or not. I'm presuming the live-action Doom Patrol could become an inspiration to dynamic underdogs everywhere. 


Like "Titans", the team's success rides on whether its characters stick to their roots. If they perform contrary to expectations (as shown in "Titan'"s initial season adieu), a righteous backlash could strike. 


No matter what the future may hold, I intend to see this one through, trusting that by time "Titans" and "Doom Patrol's" characters re-rub elbows, all the disconcerting infirmities will have bid bye-bye. 

"Doom Patrol" begins Feb 15, with an episode premiering per week. 

7 comments:

  1. The "Pilot" (beyond the "Titans" pilot) acts as a fine intro. I like the narration, the pathos, the humor...the back stories (each reminiscent of those presented for other characters in other sagas: e.g. "RoboCop"). The feel is "X-Men", "Guardians of the Galaxy"..."Watchmen", but "Doom Patrol" is also its own thing, derived from its specialized foundation. That's good. This should work.

    Bowlby is still a knock-out, perhaps more beautiful than ever before. I do hope Elasti-Woman will be featured in the most plentiful ways...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Incidentally, the Yvette Vickers reference--most appreciated. However, any man who fancies Yvette is a rich one.

      Delete
  2. After (or perhaps it was during) "Doom Patrol Patrol" (the sixth episode), I realized how much, how deeply I fancy Rita Farr, Elasti-Woman. Much of it has to do with April Bowlby: so damn pretty and a swell actress on so many levels to convey so many convincing emotions. I'm smitten, but with Bowlby, I've always been. Elasti-Woman only further seals the deal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Doom Patrol Therapy" was an effective, character-building episode: a kind of "Naked Time"/"Naked Time" for the series. The Bradbury traces tied things together well. Very pleased, indeed...

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Danny Patrol"--I'm all for folks being who they are to the highest degree. It's the reverse-discrimination stereotypes that irk me. If such open-mindedness is to be an across-the-board concept, then play it that way, showing all angels to drive home the point.

    The military and marriage aren't inherently bad institutions, no matter what any highbrow says. "Danny Patrol" seemed to be making blanket statements against them. Why? It's contradictory and goes against what was obviously the story's intent.

    I will give "Danny Patrol" this much: Its come-and-go song/dance routine worked well and stands in huge contrast to CW's grind-it-into-the-ground "Duet". That one still gives me a major headache whenever I think upon it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I liked "Jane Patrol" a lot. The many Jane personalities were fascinating as they interacted. In fact, the concept struck me as intriguing enough for a series in its own right.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Devan Chandler Long is a nice addition to the show, now that Flex Metallo has come into his own. I hope the character stays. I think he could lead his own offshoot.

    Not keen on the whole Bureau of Normalcy idea, at least not in the way it plays out here. Often these days it's the "we're so open-minded" sect that proves to be anything but, and I'd have preferred an ironic twist on that slice of truth, with the Normalcy label intact.

    ReplyDelete