Thursday, December 21, 2017

Collectible Time #92: A Frankenstein (Franklin Mint) Goblet for Christmas


Brett Turner always comes through with the most remarkable, Christmas gifts. He knows I'm a big-time Universal Monsters fan and that I hold a huge adoration for "Frankenstein '31"; and so he's played upon such by giving me a stylish, pewter Frankenstein goblet from the Franklin Mint.


The goblet was actually manufactured a couple decades back, limited to no more than forty-five casting days. Alas, this one always eluded me. Now, having the striking 6.5" piece in my collection, I wonder how the heck I ever lived without it.

The goblet features three striking, relief images inspired by the James Whale classic, all of which include the great Boris Karloff in his most famous role, though in one panel, Edward Van Sloan's Dr. Waldman makes a welcome appearance. 


The goblet is further enhanced by "gold" tipped electrodes/bolts; a rocky "neck"; stony base; and an overriding, Kenneth Strickfaden ambiance that would please any monster maker. (I'm still trying to confirm the sculptor of the piece, but that significant tidbit has so far eluded me. Nonetheless, whoever designed it sure did a crackerjack job.)

Indeed, I owe good ol' Brett a mighty big heap of thanks for this fine, Frankenstein homage. I'm proud to possess it and will cherish it for years to come. 

No comments:

Post a Comment