Sunday, October 15, 2017

Spidey's Headstrong Homecoming: A Second Look...


In July I reviewed “Spider-man: Homecoming” and said (more or less) that it would be swell to see Tom Holland grow into the role: in essence, that an adult Spidey would be a welcome and logical evolution. I still stand by that statement, and yet I must confess, I’ve come to find Holland’s youthful portrayal significant in a time when (pardon the generalization) adolescents too often take the easy, cry-baby way out. 

My appreciation for the present Peter Parker rose higher when I overheard a trio of women at a supermarket check-out lane discussing recent movies and how, in particular, they wouldn't allow their teens to watch the latest Spider-man movie. This, per their collective perspective, was because the film presents Parker as "too headstrong" for his own good.


Mind you, these ladies also admitted that they hadn't yet seen the film, only (from what I could discern) trailers. How they came to dismiss the movie from such fleeting samples is beyond me. I can only presume that similar world-of-mouth denouncements reinforced their skewed views.

For the record, Parker is traditionally diligent and therefore, arguably headstrong, whether in "Homecoming" or any number of previous undertakings: comic, animated or live-action.


In "Homecoming'"s instance, one could say that our hero has taken his industrious zeal to an even higher level. I'd agree wholeheartedly with that. The kid, after all, realizes his potential and puts it to outstanding use. Mind you, he could otherwise waste his time playing video games or sobbing over why his favorite football team lost the big game, but admirably chooses a more purposeful path. 

Parker's passion is to prove to Tony Stark that he's true-blue Avengers material, and with the opportunity at hand, he stays loyal to that cause, even if he has to dance around dear Aunt Mae’s watchful, maternal concerns. All the same, Parker recognizes injustice when it surfaces: understands why it's wrong to turn a blind eye to it. If he can help in any given situation, he'll do so, and when he granted the frivolous chance to impress the girl of his dreams, he abandons it, web-slinging forth to expose the Vulture’s insidious business operation. Now that’s my kind of hero. That’s my kind of kid.


Please pardon me if I sound like some cliched, old fogy (and yep, here comes my editorial within an editorial), but youngsters today are just too damn coddled. They’re told they’re flawless and wonderful, even when they've done nothing to deserve it. It’s predominately the parents’ fault for not exposing and discussing reality's snags with their offspring. Per parental guidance, an adolescent should come to distinguish good from bad, and from there make some positive impact on the world. A teen needn’t have radioactive blood or go up against corporate crooks to make his/her mark. It just takes a little diligence and well, a headstrong vantage to reach one's goals. As the Sinatra song goes, that's life...


I sure wish I had been more cognitive of Parker's intensified stance when I initially watched "Homecoming". I guess I’m just used to him not sitting on his duff and took his heroism for granted. Now that I know better, I take strong issue with those who'd question his character. I've come to realize that those women who jumped the gun in their criticism of Spidey are the J. Jonah Jamesons of the world. Their shared assessment is silly, insolent and above all, out of touch. There's a good chance that their children (and consequently, society) will suffer to some extent or another for that.

“Homecoming” is the type of modern fable youngsters should watch; and if you, a parent, haven’t yet seen it, I urge you to do so and throughout the experience, pay heed to what develops; then share the film with your kids...with the entire family...discuss what you've absorbed. I guarantee you'll be all the better for it.

"Spider-man: Homecoming" is currently available through pay-per-view; the disc release hits shelves Oct 17.

No comments:

Post a Comment